Kai Havertz has caught the eyes of football fans over the last two seasons with his superb abilities with the ball and the 21 year old doesn’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon.
Kai’s progress amazing progress caught the attention of top football clubs as Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Manchester United and Arsenal were all gunning for the young playmaker as at January.
A big money move for Kai Havertz has always been expected this summer as Kai has only two years left on his contract and has voiced his desire to leave Bayer Leverkusen this summer.
The German midfielder is heavily linked to a move with chelsea and talks between Bayer Leverkusen and Chelsea seem to be progressing at a really fast pace.
All the top clubs that were in the race for Kai Havertz’s signature as at January have since then cooled down their interest in the youngster mainly due to the financial crises caused by the Pandemic.
Chelsea are the last man standing in talks with Leverkusen over Kai Havertz and it’s already looking very likely that they will land the German midfielder.
In this article, we will be giving a detailed analysis on Kai Havertz; His strength, weaknesses, style of play etc.
• Havertz has progressed really well both in terms of actual output and expected output. He has also proven to be a really good finisher, which is really impressing for a midfielder.
• His performance metrics such as shots and dribbles have improved over time too. Development isn’t linear. He also has regressed in some metrics but that is how players grow.
His penalty box touches has increased over the seasons as he has moved closer to goal, not a surprise to, he has played as Centre Forward and Left Winger in last two seasons than he did 2016/17 and 2017/18 seasons.
• One of Kai Havertz best attribute which makes him a unique player is his Versatility. Kai Havertz can play as a Central Midfielder, Attacking Midfielder, Left Winger, and also as a Centre forward. Pundits refer to him as one of the most complete active players in football.
Kai Havertz is a player every manager would be willing to have in his squad, not just because of his ability but also because of his versatility in several positions. Below are possible positions Kai could play at Chelsea:
• Kai Havertz also possess the ability to score from different regions/angles, unlike some players who limit themselves to scoring or shooting in comfortable positions.
• The types of goals Havertz scores is another positive. He can score after late runs into the box, one-on-ones, headers, far post finishes and is a strong penalty taker too. His finishing variety will no doubt be a massive positive added to Chelsea’s attack.
•From a creative perspective, Havertz has strongly improved over the past 12 months. However, he is not a very good creator yet in terms of the quantity of chances he creates but that can be blamed on the quality of team he currently plays with.
His assist tally is good but you get the impression it can improve further.
• The location of shots created by Havertz is another indicator of his creative potential. While he is capable of playing incisive passes, he has the ability to improve a lot further.
His chance creation is based on getting into dangerous locations and then playing simple passes.
•Havertz is obviously not perfect and he has his drawbacks. The main one is his lack of defensive activity. He has been a main mana whose primary duty was to contribute mainly to attack at Leverkusen, meaning he was not asked to contribute much defensively. That will not be the case at Chelsea.
If he is to play as a midfielder in a 4-3-3, he will certainly have to become more intense in his defending. Given our style, we cannot afford to carry passengers off the ball.
However, at 21, it is something that he can learn with time and become better at.
Another aspect to improve is his strength on the ball. While he is tall and fast, Havertz is not the strongest and it not uncommon to see him pushed off the ball.
In the Premier League, this lack of strength will only be highlighted further. He needs to improve quickly.
Written by @ExpectedChelsea